29 Mar 2011

Sake, silence, and the tsunami

When I chose Crawling at Night by Nani Power for this month's book was filled with enthusiasm and brimming with ideas for sake-infused desserts. Then the tsunami hit Japan on March 11th. I was struck silent, feeling awkward and lost in the media outpour. One of my favourite blogs, Just Bento, sprang into action setting up Bento4Japan. Many other food bloggers held baking events or posted links to the RedCross on their site. All I managed to muster was the recipe for Mariane (the book's American protagonist), before preocuping myself with hours of template tinkering. I've snapped out of it now and am back to concentrating on content, rather than aesthetics. I have a fantastic dessert in mind for Ito, which I will post by the end of the month. I'd better get baking...

Need ideas on using sake in your desserts? Check these out:

Chocolate Sake Cinnamon Cake from Cooking Light
Sesame-crisp pear with sake-poached cranberries and miso ice cream from The Free Library
Ginger Sake Ice Cream from The Frozen Fix