31 May 2011

Fairytale Challenge Winner! Little Golden Girl Snaps

Photo by: Samantha W.

This entry came to me from my wonderful friend and former flatmate, Sam. (It was the only entry, truth be told, so I can't be accused of favouritism). It also happens to be brilliant! I love that her description of it reads like a poem. I think it would be perfect for entertaining kids as it's got a ready-made theme and once the compote has cooled slightly, it's just a matter of assembly... Oh, who am I kidding - I've been craving this dessert since the moment I saw it and I don't think I'll be able to hold off making it much longer. Let the damage to my waistline begin again!

The next Fairytale Challenge will be in September. In the meanwhile - don't forget you can make a contribution to this blog at any time by turning your favourite novel into an interpretive cake and sending me an e-mail. Find out more and Read, Bake, Eat along with me! All cakes and comments welcome.

As Sam doesn't keep a blog of her own, I've given her a guest post. Drum roll, please...


So, Goldilocks and the Three Bears: I re-read it and thought that my dessert should encompass the following:

Something found in the forest
Something with oats
Something with three elements to reflect the three bears,
three bowls of porridge, three beds, three chairs
Something which snaps like baby bear's chair
Something hot and
Something cold
to reflect the heat difference of the porridge bowls
And for her hair,
Something gold.

I came up with 'Oat Snap Cookies with Blueberry Ice Cream and Hot Fruit Compote'. The oat snap cookies to cover the oats and snap bit. The blueberry ice cream to cover the cold bit. The hot fruit compote to cover the hot bit and the forest bit (blackberries & raspberries). The three parts to the dessert also reflect the repetition of threes in the story. Like it?

Little Golden Girl Snaps

You will need:
Blueberry ice cream (If you can find it. I had to use vanilla and mash some blueberries in myself)
Oat Cookies (Preferably thin ones like Nairn's so they 'snap' when broken)
Small tub blackberries
Small tub raspberries
1 tin mixed fruit of your choice, in syrup
1.5 tablespoons butter
1.5 tablespoons brown sugar

To make the compote: (kind of based on this recipe)

Pre-heat oven to 200*C

Place tinned fruit in bottom of baking dish (without the syrup – drain and keep this)

Place blackberries and raspberries (or fruit of your choice – I just like these) on top

Mix reserved syrup, brown sugar and butter and pour over fruit.

Bake for 15-30min.

To serve: 
Scoop as much ice cream as you like into a bowl, spoon over some hot fruit compote, and garnish with oat snap biscuits.

I feel a bit guilty not making everything from scratch so for those who have the time and inclination, these are the recipes I would have gone for:
Nigel Slater's Oat Snaps - published in The Observer.
Easy Blueberry Ice Cream (no ice-cream maker required!) from Waitrose.
If you don't want to bake your compote, Kelli recommended this stove top one from BBC GoodFood

  
Yeah, I'm on Kelli's blog! I am one privileged dude.
It's been fun,
Samantha W.